Last March I made a list of goals for 2014, in lieu of resolutions. The idea was to better myself by growing rather than trying to confine myself to stricter resolutions such as ‘lose 20 pounds’.
I started out feeling really confident of my goals, and that I was going to undergo a great transformation! Instead, looking back I feel as though I did make some progress but I definitely lost focus around June and everything slowly started to just fade into the background. But I know that I am not perfect, and I know that it is not worth the energy or stress of feeling as though I failed because I didn’t grow as much as I wanted to or because I didn’t make large bounds of progress with all of my goals.
This year some of my goals are very similar, and some are not. I want to take the small steps I took last year and use the progress to move even further forward in life. So without further adieu, here’s a recap of my goals and how I feel I did:
- To live with less and be purposeful in my purchases – I feel as though I honestly didn’t move much on this one. While I (and we!) definitely did some downsizing as far as kitchen tools and dishes, overall I felt stagnant on this one. I feel like I made a little progress on being purposeful in my purchases, and that most of them were either gifts or things that I needed but there is still room for growth here. I am going to try and work on this more this year too, which is why two of my tasks are to downsize my wardrobe and my stuff.
- Substantially reduce my debt – Okay, so I was able to make HUGE progress on this one due to compensation for my work trip last year. Besides the regular payments on my school loans, we were able to pay off $16k of debt. I wiped my credit cards completely clean, and knocked out one of my loans completely. This is still something I want to work on, but this year is going to be an interesting ride for our finances so I don’t want to stress too much on this right now until we have a better idea of how our budget is going to look.
- To become a stronger Fisherman (Mark 1:17) – I still struggle at this, and I want to get better. I had some good posts about my faith in 2014, if I do say so myself, but I want to get better at sharing. I pray that as I grow deeper and stronger in my faith and beliefs that it will also become a little easier to share. Even if it’s just a little bit.
- Improve my mental and emotional health – I think that I made decent progress on this goal. Admittedly I still worry about what people think and that was in part why I stopped blogging for the last few months of last year, but I have made progress. I am slowly getting better at just ignoring the little voice in me that says everyone is looking at me or talking about me, and instead I do what I need to do. (Shocking I know…) I hope to keep growing in this.
- Continue building a strong marriage – Can I just say that I have THE best husband in the world? Seriously. THE best. EVER. Okay, now that I’ve shared, I know that part of what makes him the best is that we both really value our relationship and our marriage. I know that for my own part I have tried to be really conscious of how I talk about D in public, and what I say to him at home and out and about as well as what I do of him. I think that we have a good handle on this, but it is always a work in progress.
- Learn to take care of me, and putting me first if need be – I definitely had my ups and downs with this goal. At times I did really well, and at others I made myself sick with stress over if I was pleasing everyone else or not…
- Learn to be still and at peace in the stillness – I still struggle with this. It is very hard for me to do nothing. I am always multi-tasking (or attempting to) and I have a to-do for almost every weekend so I would never have a lot of downtime if D didn’t hold me back sometimes. I don’t know if I made any progress on this. I feel like I am more aware when I am searching for something to do just for the sake of doing, but I don’t know that that awareness keeps me sitting still.
- Get fit and eat better – This one didn’t happen. I do try to be more conscious of what I am eating especially when I don’t bring my lunch to work, or when we go out. But overall my fitness level drastically devolved and I don’t think my nutrition improved. Hopefully this year it will change a little.
- Grow my local community – Sadly, this was another goal that suffered and I didn’t move forward on this at all. Now that we live in a new neighborhood I hope to improve on this a lot.
So overall, I guess you could say it was a mixed bag of results. Some goals I made some progress on, and others just sat on the wayside and waited for me to remember that they were there. It will be interesting to see how this year goes!
Did you make any goals or resolutions for 2014? How do you feel you did?