Here’s another goodie, this one was given to us by a friend of D’s. It’s a favourite at game night, and the leftovers don’t last long!
Spinach Enchilada Casserole
– 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. ground turkey
– 1/2 stick butter, melted
– 1 lbs. grated cheese
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 Tbsp. lime juice
– 1 small-medium onion, chopped
– 8 oz. sour cream
– 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
– 14 oz. tomato sauce
– 1 – oz can of tomatoes & green chilies, drained
– 12-15 corn tortillas
– 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350*. Begin browning the meat as you chop the onion and garlic, then add them to the same pan as the meat. While the meat is cooking, thaw the spinach in the microwave. (Just follow the directions on the package.)
2. Once the meat is browned, add the tomato sauce, tomatoes & chilies, lime juice, spices and spinach to the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the tortillas into quarters. Melt the butter and then brush it onto the front and back of the tortilla pieces. I recommend doing this once for the bottom layer, and then again for the second layer of the tortillas. (See below)
4. Layer the casserole in a 9×13 pan like this:
Tortilla pieces (cover the bottom of the pan)
Half the meat mixture
Half the cheese
Layer of tortilla pieces
Remaining meat mixture
Rest of the cheese
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
Notes: You can use ground beef instead of turkey, but it will be more greasy.