I found this recipe for aMAYzing mac & cheese on the back of a Penzey’s catalog, and figured I’d give it a try, and am I glad I did. It is sooooooooo good!!!
Here’s what you need:
– 1 lb. elbow macaroni pasta
– ~3/4 lb. block of cheddar (I used sharp)
– 1/2 C butter
– 3 cloves fresh, minced garlic
– 3 Tbsp. flour
– 2 C half & half
– 1/2 milk
– 3/4 C grated parmesan
– 1 tsp. oregano
– 1/2 tsp. black pepper
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
– breadcrumbs (optional)
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
2. Cut the cheese in half. Grate one of the halves, and cut the other into small cubes.
3. Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the flour 1 Tbsp at a time. Cook until smooth.
4. Reduce the heat to low, and add the half & half a little at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition. Stir in the parmesan, half of the grated cheddar, and the spices.
5. Toss the cooked noodles with the sauce and the cubed cheddar in an oven-proof bowl or casserole dish. Top with the remaining grated cheddar and the breadcrumbs if you decide to add them.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes, more or less depending on how brown you want the top to be.
*Note: I used our 3 qt. dutch oven to bake this, it fit perfectly.