Now before you start yelling, “You don’t have a TV?!??” as though I just told you I believe the world is flat, reread the title of this post. We do have a TV, but we do not have TV as in a TV provider.
What we have instead is this little magic box called a Roku, and this is why I like not having regular TV.
1. It’s cheap! Sure we still have to pay for our Netflix and Hulu Plus subscriptions but the Roku itself was a one-time cost. Ours happened to be a Christmas gift so it was free, but still. Instead of an expensive cable or Direct TV or Dish bill, we pay about $16 a month for TV.
2. We don’t waste time in front of the TV. You see, it’s difficult to be bored and just flip on the boob tube when you can’t flip channels. Instead we watch TV when we know what we want to watch. That doesn’t mean we don’t spend a lazy Saturday in front of the TV watching Deep Space 9 all day, but it’s what we planned to do.
3. We can still watch new shows! Because of our Hulu Plus subscription we can still watch shows that are currently on the air instead of like Netflix which only has shows that have been released to DVD. We watch Glee, Castle, Fringe and a bunch of others. True we can’t watch them the night they are aired, but I don’t think that having to wait 24 hours has killed either of us. We can also watch videos that we purchase through Amazon instant videos too! Which is how we watch Mad Men and Hell on Wheels, our favourite AMC shows.
4. I don’t have to deal with the problem of nothing being on, which is frankly very awesome. I know what my options are, which mean I spend less time trying to find something to watch.
5. While there are still commercials are HuluPlus, there are less than on TV. What does that mean? Way less pressure to buy things we don’t need. I love it!
I love that we can still watch our TV shows without spending tons of money and without wasting time being bored in front of the TV. It’s awesome.