I’ve been looking for a new job for a while, hoping to get out of my current position and go someplace that has more of an impact. Before I left the desert I had a long talk with my supervisor about what I wanted in my future in terms of jobs, and let him know that if he heard of anything that I might want/be good at he should hit me up. Well, he told someone in D.C. about me, and I got an email Wednesday morning informing me that I had been suggested as a potential candidate for a job up there. It would be pretty sweet. Lots of analysis, the ability to have a direct impact, and as challenging as hell.
I talked it over with Dan, and despite the potential distance for a few years, he told me that if it was something I wanted, to go ahead and try. So I emailed the guy back, telling him that I was indeed interested in applying and to send me an application.
Well…. there seems to be some misunderstanding, because I got an email Thursday morning, telling me they weren’t sure it was a good idea anymore. They thought I was two ranks higher than I am, and the job position is for an E-7. I am an E-4. They are worried that if I take the job I will lose out on mentorship, leadership possibilities, and professional development… blah blah. HOWEVER, they are still going to send me an application, and if my packet’s strong enough they will go from there. So it wasn’t a no, which is a big deal, but it was still upsetting. I really want this job. And I don’t plan on making this a career, cuz I don’t want to have kids while I’m in, so losing out on all that normal military stuff does not bother me in the least. And it’s my career, if I want to screw myself over who are they to say I can’t. Plus, this would look aMAYzing on a resume, and would be a great experience.
Now I just have to wait for the application…